In this article, you will not only find the answer to the question “Will Ruby on Rails be around in 2020”, but you will also learn if you should hire Ruby on Rails developers for your future projects or not. However, the first thing we need to do is talk a bit about how Ruby and Rails started and how it has transformed over the years.
What is Ruby?
Ruby is a high-level interpreted programming language that was designed and developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto in 1995. The first version on Ruby released to the public was Ruby 0.95; the second and third version was released in the next two days. Since then, Ruby has got regular updates, with the last one being on Christmas 2018.
What is Ruby on Rails?
Rails is a server-side web application framework written in Ruby. It was created by David H Hansson, while he was working on Basecamp. This framework, known as Ruby on Rails, was released as an open-source platform in 2005. Since its release, it is updated regularly, with its latest version released in August 2019.
Why do people like Ruby on Rails?
Below are a few reasons people like Ruby on Rails.
- It is a cost-effective platform– Ruby on Rails is open-source software; you do not have to pay to use it. Ruby on Rails can run on Linux, which is also an open-source platform. So, a developer can get on a Linux based platform, and start developing with Ruby on Rails without ever paying a license fee.
- It is Fast- Developing on Ruby on Rails is at least 40 times faster than other platforms. This speed of development also cuts down the cost of the project.
- Code Simplicity – The code for Ruby on Rails is easy to understand, and the learning curve for it is much smaller than other platforms. If you hire a Ruby on Rails developer to join in the middle of the project, he/she can easily understand and work with the code.
- Gems – Ruby on Rails has a vast collection of libraries. These libraries are known as Gems, and they can be used to add-on rich elements and functions with ease. Ruby on Rails developers uses these Gems to save time and introduce complex functions.
- Secure – Security is one of the biggest concerns businesses have these days. Ruby on Rails has underlying security features by default; this makes the framework securer than most other platforms.
Ruby on Rails through the years
Ruby on Rails picked up around 2012 with many websites developed by software developers using Ruby on Rails, especially in the United States; even today 75% of all Ruby sites are developed in the United States. India has also become a big market with many sites developed in Ruby on Rails.
In the last few years, Ruby on Rails has lost out to a few other open-source platforms and has lost a bit of their market share. Even today, numerous large-scale websites are on Ruby on Rails. A few of them include; Airbnb, GitHub, Groupon, Shopify, Goodreads, Hulu, and Twitch. Apart from these, thousands of smaller-scale websites use Ruby on Rails.
What does the future hold for Ruby on Rails?
It does not look like Ruby on Rails is going to disappear anytime soon. The programming language Ruby has another version said to be released in the mid of 2020. And since 2007, Ruby on Rails has got a new version every year, and we can expect this trend to continue in 2020 as well. With the United States continuing to lead the race in the most number of websites, and digital India on the rise, Ruby on Rails has a bright future in place.
As I said, I do not see Ruby on Rails dying off anytime soon. With security, time and money being the top priorities of online businesses in 2020, I do not see companies, or software developers, moving away from Ruby on Rails. If you are planning to start work on a new project and still deciding on the platform, Ruby on Rails should be one of your top choices.
If you are looking to hire Ruby on Rails developers for your future projects, an excellent place to find them is the Optimal Virtual Employee. OVE has a large pool of skilled and experienced Ruby on Rails developer whom you can hire on hourly and monthly rates.