Podcasts are a burgeoning trend in the global markets, and both Android and iOS developers are looking for ways to encash on this growth curve. Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, people are working from home and have plenty of time to engage in recreational as well as skill-building activities, and podcasts present the perfect solution to those. The verge predicted that by the end of the year 2021, podcast apps will generate $1 billion in terms of revenue.
Here in this article, we lay down the complete guide to building a podcast app. You can hire software developer from a professional software development company or make it your own little DIY project.
Essentials of a Podcast App
The anatomy of every podcast app is made up of certain common features, like:
- Subscribe- Every app user needs to subscribe to it to be up to date with all the new episodes that are being uploaded on it.
- Download- Podcast app users should be allowed a chance to download the audio content they like.
- Categorized Searches- A categorized search feature helps the users look for a podcast on the mobile application. It makes it easy to find a podcast by entering hints like name, episode, genre, frequency, RSS feed, etc.
- Boost Audio- The boost audio feature of a podcast app alleviates the human voice in the content and cuts off dead air or prolonged patches of silence on it. It is an absolute must-have for a good podcast user experience.
- In-Audio Search- This particular functionality can segregate, and index spoke sequences of audio content and help users search for keywords and audio within a podcast episode. The feature works on voice recognition and skips a user’s need to remember episode titles, descriptions, and episode numbers.
- Discovery Section In this section, podcasts are segregated into different categories based on their genres, specials, or even paid and unpaid segments. It helps drive a user’s attention to new podcasts with ease. Podcast apps with API integration provide a stellar recommendation engine for users.
- Playlist- Playlists are another podcast app essentials. Users can line their favorite shows in the playlist and keep up with new ones.
- Offline Mode- Podcast app development is best carried out to include an offline-first approach. This helps users navigate the app even in areas with network issues or in flights while traveling.
- Multi-Platform Support- Podcast listeners want to listen to audio tracks everywhere, and it is only possible with multi-platform support. That is why a podcast should be compatible with other platforms like car music systems, smart home devices, and laptops, etc.
- On-Demand Radio- On-demand radio can be an interesting inclusion during podcast app development. Smart radio books and on-demand radios allow users to listen to their favorite FM channels even in weak coverage areas. Users can listen to any channel from across the globe and enjoy podcasts at the same time.
Cost of Developing a Podcast App
Numerous factors matter when it comes to podcast app development. App developers need to narrow down on features they want to include on their podcast app, its design, complexities of the project, hourly rates of app development, technology stack they want to use, team size, and the amount of time required for app development. Only when they find answers to these tricky questions can they reach the actual cost of app development.
The app development project’s geographical location and hourly rates are the main determinants of podcast app development cost. Hire software developers in South Asia for the most competent software development pricing.
Podcast App Monetization Guide
Podcast apps can earn money by asking the users to sign up for audio content. Regular subscription to a podcast app is a desirable proposition for users who value the app hosts’ kind of content.
In-app advertising is perhaps the best way to earn money from an app. App marketers can use brand video and static advertisements on the podcast screen or after a few audiobook pages and earn good returns from the app.
Premium Content Model
Another popular model for monetizing podcast apps helps with an advertisement-free listening experience.
Steps to Podcast App Development
Create a Multilingual Podcast App
While most apps are created for English-speaking audiences, you should consider the scope of translating them into other languages. App developers must keep their content and code aloof if this seems like a possibility.
Select SDLC Model for the Podcast App
A Minimum Viable Product or MVP is the best option for Podcast startups and can be enhanced through feedback and reviews. It’s best to choose Agile as the SDLC model, which helps with interactive app development.
Choose a Development Approach
It’s best to develop a native app for podcasts. Using cloud services platforms like Mobile-Backend-as-a-Service (MBaaS) save the need to manage IT infrastructure.
Choose API Solution
To search for podcasts, it is best to depend on an API solution like Listen API is an excellent solution. It enables access to its vast podcast database with over 700,000 podcasts and millions of episodes.
In the End
The podcast market is likely to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 27.5% between 2020 and 2027. Use this brief guide for podcast app development and reap brilliant benefits.